Facts you should know before purchasing a new TV
Screen size: you must get a TV for your needs. So you will have to consider where to put it. It is recommenced that the distance from TV and the place where you will watch it should be 5 times bigger than screen size. So if you buy a 1m screen TV you should stay at 5 meters away.
This is a general recommendation: every producer has a different distance, so inform yourself before buying.
Resolution: common LCDs offer:
– HD ready. HD ready concerns the abilities of television receivers to display high-definition pictures. Minimum native resolution 1366 x 768.
– Full HD.1080p can be referred to as full HD or full high definition although 1080i is also “Full HD” (1920×1080 pixels).
So Full HD means better resolution and quality but also it means you will pay more for the TV.
Aspect Ratio – Most LCD and Plasma TV’s come in widescreen (16:9) but there are other options available.
LCD and plasma TVs
LCD stands for liquid crystal display.
The basic idea of a plasma screen is to illuminate tiny colored fluorescent lights to form an image. Each pixel is made up of three fluorescent lights — a red light, a green light and a blue light. The plasma display varies the intensities of the different lights to produce a full range of colors
LCD and Plasma TVs have a lot in common.
LCD and plasma TVs are sleek and slim, easily mounted on a wall or fitted snug against the side of your living room. Because LCD and plasma TVs are totally flat you can watch them from a wide angle, save space, look sharp. Besides their sleek and thin look, LCD and Plasma TV’s have lots of additional features and perks that you’re missing out on with an old CRT (tube) TV.
However, there are some key differences between LCD and plasma TVs that might influence your decision about which type to buy.
The advantages of Plasma over LCD are:
- Larger screen size availability
- Better contrast ratio and ability to render deeper blacks
- Better color accuracy and saturation
- Better motion tracking
LCD television advantages over plasma are:
- No burn-in of static images.
- Cooler running temperature.
- No high altitude use issues
- Increased image brightness over Plasma
- Lighter weight
3 recommended brands: